DIY Hospital Birth
No part of these stories may be reproduced, published, copy, shared or used in any way without prior consent from the owners. Each story is based on real life experience and is not intended to replace any medical or professional advice.
Unassisted hospital birth
- Janatul, 4th time mum who received her own baby with the blessing of her doctor who practices true obstetrics (from the Latin obstare, "to stand by") (Dec 2012)
Our little man, Warren, he is the best gift for my hubby and me in year 2013. We were hoping that our first baby is a boy and we knew about his gender since he was only 12 weeks (he is definitely a Man!) and we have been calling him "Warren" since then.
- Ow Hui Ching, 1st-time mum who powerfully birthed her baby whose cord was 2 loops around the neck, 4 days after her membrane released (August 2013)
I couldn't remember how many times I needed to breath down - I didn't think I had the chance to do proper breathing down because baby shot out like a torpedo at 10:16am - only my hubby was in the room.
- Joyce Rachel Lee, 1st-time mum whose baby torpedoed out before the medical team arrived (August 2013)
Dr Maimon, my obgyn, a very gentle lady in her fifties, gave her normal smile when I showed her our “birth hopes” a month before baby Herng Shan was due. Her only remark was “you are asking for a lot here.”
As you can see, we were, in fact, asking for nothing. All we were asking was for the doctor and nurses to sit back, relax and enjoy the birth with us.
- Wai Kuan, 43yo 1st time mum who received her own baby in the hospital toilet (Dec 2009)
Anyway, I went back to focusing on Jessica, and got to report to her when I started to see him crowning, and then it was only another surge or two until his head emerged. I reported this too, and positioned my hands to catch and hold him when his shoulders emerged.
- David, 2nd-time Dad who caught his own son in the hospital (June 2012)
There I was, sitting on the floor holding him with my hands and in rushed the nurse and doctor! You should see the look on their faces! Priceless!! I recalled the doctor saying, "why is my patient not on the bed?!"
— Dr. Fatin, 1st-time mum who made a hospital record with her DIY birth (Feb 2012)
We had wanted to be the first one to hold the baby when she is born (I guess my baby knew it too), and she made it happened for all of us. This will be the most precious and unforgettable moment of our lifetime. I am glad that the whole birth process is drug-free and the placenta was birthed naturally. I remember saying we wanted a fast birth in HB class. Well, everything ended in merely 2 hours.
— Rebecca, 2nd-time mum who received her own baby (Dec 09)